When you file a claim with your homeowner’s insurance company, you probably expect that your insurer will pay for the damages your home suffered in their entirety. Because insurance companies are out to make a profit, though, it is common for them to try to “lowball” your claim by underpaying it. In some cases, your insurer may try to not pay your claim at all, in which case you may have to go to battle against it to get everything you deserve.

According to SmartAsset, only about 10% of today’s homeowner’s insurance policy carriers work to make sure homeowners receive the money they deserve, which means the other 90% often wind up with solutions that ultimately favor the insurance company. So, is there anything you can do to avoid an underpayment of your homeowner’s insurance claim?

Making the most of your claim

One thing you can do to help protect yourself before a problem arises involves becoming extremely familiar with your homeowner’s insurance policy. If any language included in your policy is confusing, request clarification. In some cases, insurers make homeowner's insurance policies intentionally vague so they can try to underpay, or not pay, your claim later on down the line.

It may also serve you well to thoroughly photograph your home and surroundings anytime you anticipate severe weather. That way, you can clearly demonstrate whether the damage was, in fact, caused by the weather. Document before and after photos using a camera or cellphone before making any repairs. Be careful not to wait too long to make necessary repairs. In some instances, insurers may try to argue that the problems in your home worsened because you failed to address them in a timely manner.

Remember, homeowner’s insurance companies look to maximize profits. This means that, in many cases, they may not have your best interests at heart. If you feel as if your insurer is trying to offer you a less-than-adequate sum in response to your claim, you may have recourse.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response