Many Florida residents live in areas that may be particularly prone to flooding. Some areas of the state are known as Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHA), while other areas may still be prone to flooding even if they are not classified as such. As many homeowner's insurance policies do not cover flood damage, it may be important for people to obtain flood protection of their own. Of course, even having coverage in place does not always ensure that a homeowner will have an easy time in case of a flood. Many homeowners struggle to obtain the compensation they deserve after their residences were damaged in a flood.

People in an SFHA with a federally regulated mortgage are required by law to have flood insurance, and some lenders may also require flood insurance as a condition for a loan. On a federal level, the National Flood Insurance Program aims to deliver flood insurance to property owners, especially in areas prone to serious flooding problems. This program is administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Flood insurance does not necessarily cover all damage due to flooding. Policy holders should check their documents to see if personal property is covered in their policy or only the building itself.

Most standard flood insurance policies cover the building, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, kitchen appliances, floors and carpeting. Personal property policies may add coverage for electronics, furniture, clothes, freezers and valuables. Some disputes over flood insurance coverage may center on the definition of a flood, as most policies do not cover damage from rain or hail.

Even though the national insurance program is directed by the government, it is handled by private insurers, and homeowners may face flood insurance claim denials. An insurance lawyer may help Florida homeowners to defend their rights and seek the compensation they need.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response